Strawberries smell amazing as they bake in the oven and alkalising carrot provides skin protective antioxidants for creating beautiful skin. No butter, no dairy, no guilt with these healthy muffins which can be eaten for breakfast or as a snack or healthy dessert ...
INGREDIENTS1 egg (or egg-free substitute if you don’t consume egg)
½ cup (125 mL) rice malt syrup
¾ cup organic soy milk or rice milk (185 mL)
1 large carrot, washed and grated
1⁄3 cup rice bran oil (75 mL)
2 cups spelt flour (or gluten-free flour if necessary, see notes)
3 teaspoons baking powder (check the packet instructions)
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
2 punnets of strawberries (approx. 500g), washed and diced
Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) or 350°F and line a cupcake tray with paper liners, or grease with rice bran oil.
- In food processor, combine the egg, rice malt syrup, non-dairy milk and grated carrot and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle rice bran oil through the chute; process until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine spelt flour, baking powder and baking soda (sift to combine). Then pour the liquid into the flour mix and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Using a spoon, gently stir in most of the strawberries (save a handful to place on top). Add a little extra milk if necessary (depending on the type of flour you use).
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each three-quarters full. Decorate each with the remaining strawberry pieces and lightly press them into the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until light golden on top. Let cool on a wire rack.
NOTE: if using gluten-free self-raising flour, omit the baking powder and baking soda from the recipe.