When it comes to sabotaging your skin and waistline, there are a range of factors that can fast-track wrinkling, cellulite, weight gain and other signs of ageing.
Sun exposure, dehydration and smoking are no brainers – we know they cause skin ageing and they are bad for your health. But what about your diet?
Tip 1: Eat less AGEs
The science is this: the average modern western diet is rich in molecules called advanced glycation end products (AGE or AGEs for short). AGE molecules attach to collagen – the helix shaped ‘glue’ that gives your skin resilience. This cross-linking locks the collagen fibres in place and skin elasticity is reduced (See Diagram 3). AGE molecules appear to be a major factor in ageing, and have been linked with diseases including diabetes and heart disease.
Diagram from Younger Skin in 28 Days
Here are the main sources of AGEs …
- They’re rich in cheese, steak, burnt toast, cooked meats, deli meats, butter and margarine, to name a few.
- Fat-rich foods such as red meat, chicken and oils, especially slow-cooked meats.
- AGEs can be made in the body when you eat sugar, as the glucose from sugar is converted via a glycation process (Diagram 3).
- Sun tanning and smoking also cause AGE formation in your skin and body.
Accumulation of AGEs is associated with:
- weight gain
- reduced skin elasticity
- inflammatory skin changes
- yellowing of the skin
- cataracts and other eye problems
- reduced muscle function and strength
- skin tissue damage
- impaired wound healing
- elevated blood sugar levels
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- loss of bone density
- loss of muscular mass
- end stage renal disease
- rheumatoidarthritis. (3, 4,5,6,7,8,9)
Research shows you can simply eat fewer advanced glycation end products in your diet to reduce AGE levels in your skin – and you’ll also improve your waistline and longevity.
TIP 2: Eat an acid-alkaline balanced diet
To reduce the amount of AGEs in your diet, simply eat are more alkaline-based diet. Your acid-alkaline balance is important for weight loss and clear skin as acids are stored in the body's tissues and this can cause weight storage.
You can instantly download the complete Acid-Alkaline Food Charts when you sign up to Karen Fischer's newsletter. Click on the image to sign up and download this easy, life-changing list:
This information appeared on Today Extra (Nine Network) on 2nd of June 2016.