I would like to talk about the beautiful beetroot.
Beetroot has strong alkalising properties which boosts liver detoxification of salicylates and other chemicals. It is abundant in antioxidants, folic acid and iron.
To top it off, it is a potent blood cleanser and research shows that beetroot consumption lowers blood pressure and has an aspirin like effect, reducing the risk of blood clots.
I’m busy, can I use canned beetroots? Preferably fresh. If you have eczema, canned is a big 'no no' because of the vinegar.
How can I use beetroot? Give me some recipes?
- You can grate fresh, peeled beetroots into salads (if you can’t be bothered to work your guns on the grater- pop some beetroots in the oven).
- Freshly made juices. The Healthy Skin Juice is a great option, simply juice: 3 sticks of celery, 1-2 carrots(tops removed), half a medium beetroot, and two pears (must be ripe).
- Grated beetroot is also great in healthy cakes and muffins. We have included a Healthy Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe for you to try below.
NOTE: Beetroot is great for most eczema sufferers: people with severe salicylate sensitivity should avoid beetroot as it contains moderate salicylates).
Healthy Red Velvet Cupcakes
This is a recipe by Sarah Wright who has kindly allowed it to be shared. This recipe uses alkalising grated beetroot and rice malt syrup instead of sugar. The recipe is dairy-free, milk-free, wheat-free and can be made egg- and gluten-free if you modify the recipe (see notes in brackets for instructions). It makes about 12 medium cupcakes. Happy Easter!
2 large or 3 small fresh beetroot, raw, peeled and grated
2 eggs (or egg substitute)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons rice bran oil (80mls)
1/3 cup rice malt syrup
1 cup whole spelt flour (use gluten-free flour if necessary, see notes)
Pinch of Himalayan salt or natural fine rock salt
2 teaspoons baking powder (refer to packet instructions)
¼ cup carob powder, sifted
Optional: ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) (350°F) and line a cupcake tray with paper liners or alternatively grease the tray with rice bran oil.
- Using a food processor on high speed, combine the grated beetroot, eggs, vanilla, rice bran oil and rice malt syrup until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, carob and cinnamon, sift and mix until well combined. Then pour in the wet mixture and stir with a spoon until combined.
- Fill patty cases to ¾ full and bake for 18 minutes or until the middle bounces back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
NOTES: if using gluten-free self-raising flour, omit the baking powder and baking soda from the recipe.
Optional: For special occasions such as Easter, dust a little icing sugar on top just before serving.
If all goes to plan they should look something like this ...