The itch of eczema can cause great pain and discomfort - at times the itch can feel like you're living on an ant's nest! It can disturb sleep and prevent you from doing fun activities such as swimming and socialising. However, if you have itchy skin there is plenty you can do about it.
Top 5 natural itch-busting treatments
- Drink an alkalising drink such as celery, pear and mung bean sprouts (The Eczema Diet recipe)
- Fill a plastic bag with ice cubes and hold it next to the skin
- Have a brief warm bath and add some bicarb soda to the water (afterwards, moisturise your skin with a non-irritating eczema ointment)
- Take a calcium supplement – calcium is alkalising and it can reduce acid in the body
- Change your diet to one that is low in salicylates, dairy-free, allergen-free and healthy
This is an edited extract from